Thursday 24 July 2008

A Wordle of the Psalter and my blog

Wordles seem to be the new in thing in the blogosphere at the moment. What is a Wordle? Well, here's what the official website says:


Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share with your friends.
I first heard about it from Aristotle's Feminist Subject, who got it from Lingamish. Well, תהלים has posted the most interesting Wordle of all: the entire Psalter (click on the image to enlarge). I like the way "shall" and "will" are highlighted along with God and the LORD. I wonder what theological implications that has!



They're easy to make: just copy and paste text here, or even give in URL of your blog, and ta da, a wordle. Here's a wordle of my blog:



I have to say, I'm surprised at how much the word "dogmatic" occurs. I need to post more on the Old Testament!

I tried it in Hebrew for Psalms 1-24 but it didn't really work:



The key word seems to be a mixture of Yahweh and Elohim, which fits to Richard's wordle above.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI: The Wordle you link to is of my blog not the Psalter. I do plan to Wordle the whole Psalter though!

Anonymous said...

Here you go: Whole Psalter

Phil Sumpter said...

Thanks Richard, I've updated the post.