Monday 20 July 2009

A thread on the verb in Biblical poetry

I'm posting this as much for myself as for anyone else. Pete Bekins of בלשנות (Balshanut) has been posting on the Hebrew verb system in Biblical poetry. This is a topic that interests me, as witnessed to by my numerous postings on the qal - yiqtol sequence in Psalm 24 (Translating an qal/yiqtol sequence in Ps 24 (drawing on Niccacci); Translating yiqtol verbs in Psalm 24:2; Second-line information in a poetic yiqtol-clause?; Should we ammend יְכוֹנְנֶֽהָ in Ps 24:2?). Pete was very helpful in some of the comments to these posts, so I was delighted to see him covering this area on his own blog, not least because he is a Hebrew linguistic and so really knows what he is talking about!

I've been away for a while and will be off again for the next two weeks, so I was delighted to see that the author of Enumma has gathered all of Pete's posts togther into a digestable package. As soon as I get back I will set myself to reading these posts in detail and pestering Pete with my pedantic problems (is there a synonym for "questions" that begins with "p"?).

Here is Enumma's summary:

No comments: