Tuesday 17 June 2008

Pod-Cast Interview with James Kugel

Hadassah links to a one hour interview with James Kugel on his recent book, How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture then and Now.

From the little I've read of Kugel I've not been impressed. He made a lame critique of Christian confessional scholarship which I posted here, followed by my own critical response here and a suggestion here that a canonical approach could fill the gap a New York Times reviewer felt was left gaping.

Nevertheless, he seems to be popular amongst those wishing to embrace both modernity and Jewish orthodoxy so he will be an important dialogue partner for the future. I intend to listen to the interview at some point, whenever I can fit him around the mountain of other audio material I'm collecting (e.g. here).

No comments: