Sunday 3 February 2008

The Most Amazing Sermon Series, ... ever (?)

I've finally finished listening to the greatest series of sermons I've ever heard. Every Sunday I would listen to a sermon by Tim Keller from Redeemer Presbyterian Church, downloaded from this page of the church website. Tim Keller is an intelligent, educated, passionate, articulate man who is driven by his vision of who the God of the Universe is and what this God is doing, especially in New York but ultimately in each and every neighbourhood of this planet. The entire sermon series revolves around Redeemer's core vision, which is as follows:

Redeemer's VisionTo build a great city for all people­—through a gospel movement that brings personal conversion, community formation, social justice and cultural renewal to New York and, through it, to the world.
So simple. You can watch a video introduction here.

I was first introduced to this series by a friend after I complained that I hadn't heard too many decent sermons based on the Old Testament. Most of this series is based on Isaiah, though being the systematic person that I am I went right to the beginning and started with sermon #1, the prodigal son. Even here I was impressed by how he could make such a well worn story come alive in such an existentially gripping way, bridging the gap between my personal faith and my place in the broader created world. The last sermon was again New Testament, this time the Wedding at Cana. I don't know how sound his exegesis was, but what he had to say was so beautiful that I just want to believe it!

So, if you want to do you soul and your neighbour a favour, listen to this sermon series, systematically, prayerfully, one after the other. Let Keller's words take up residence in your consciousness until you find yourself transformed and equipped to go out and do what it is we were saved for in the first place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing to this sermon series. I listened to the Prodigal Son sermon, and it truly is fantastic. I've never heard a preacher pick-up on the cost to the older son and relate it to the cost of the Son of God.

Phil Sumpter said...

You should listen to the last one on the Wedding at Cana. I've never heard anything like it. I hope the exegesis is sound because the results rock. The whole series is gorgeous.